I know. A salsa recipe! From ME! It’s shocking. I’ll give you a minute while you collect yourself.
This one comes courtesy of my BFF’s boyfriend, and it is so good. Very different from my usual roasted salsa roja, and perfect for right now when the tomatoes are in season and easy to find. Around here we can still find a farmer with a card table of tomatoes and a cigar box for cash sitting out at the end of the driveway. Best tomatoes in the world!
Anyway, the salsa is also easily customizable, so you can make it anywhere from diced tomatoes to melt-your-face-off hot (which, you’ve probably figured out by now, is my preferred level of heat).
- 6 Roma tomatoes
- 1 medium-large white onion
- 3 serrano peppers
- 1 bunch cilantro*
- salt, and black pepper to taste
- 3 large limes
- Dice tomatoes, onion, and peppers and stir together in a bowl
- Chop the cilantro and add in
- Add salt and pepper, then squeeze in the juice from the limes
- Stir, and enjoy! The longer it sits, the hotter it gets — just something to keep in mind
*A note on cilantro: for the last three years or so I kind of hate it (pregnancy was weird), so the first time I made this myself I just left it out. And I MISSED it. It really makes that much of a difference, so my advice is to try just a little bit in it even if you think you hate it.
Random: this reminds me so much of the now-defunct Salsa Y’all. Does anyone else remember that?