I love the simplicity of this one-pot macaroni and cheese; however, after 20 hours in the car with Kiddo (who, by the way, was a car-traveling champ) in the last four days I wasn’t really feeling the urge to watch the pot as closely as I would need to in order to avoid a boiled-over-milk scene on the stove.
I also had some pimentos that had ripened in the garden while Kiddo and I were gone.
So I crossed my fingers and totally made up tried this — and it worked!
Pimento macaroni and cheese
- 3 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. dijon mustard (optional)
- 1.5 cups dry pasta
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 3 fresh pimentos, peeled (like this, only tiny), seeded and minced
- Preheat oven to 375F
- In a heavy, oven-safe sauce pot melt butter till foam subsides, then add flour and whisk until fully combined; add milk while whisking and turn off stovetop heat
- Stir in salt, mustard, dry pasta, cheese, and pimentos; cover pot and place in oven
- Cook for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through; top with additional cheese and uncover for the last few minutes if you so desire