I’m freezing. Are y’all freezing? It’s prime comfort food time for me, and this delivers. A librarian printed this recipe out for me once and I promptly lost the paper; I make it from memory now, and I’m not sure of the original source. Regardless of its origins, it’s hot and tasty and definitely fall-off-the-bone tender.
Coca-cola pot roast
- Chuck roast, about 4 pounds
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 Tbsp. salt (coarse/kosher salt, ideally)
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 packet French onion soup mix
- 1 can Coca-cola
- Baby carrots or chopped carrots
- Preheat oven to 325F and heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat on the stovetop
- Season the roast with salt and pepper, then sear the roast on all sides in the Dutch oven till it’s nice and brown
- Sprinkle over the garlic powder and onion soup mix, pour in the Coke and add in the carrots around the roast; put a lid on it and stick the whole thing in the oven
- Cook till the internal temp of the roast is 165F; this will take about three hours or so depending on your oven and the size of the roast. Let it rest for about ten minutes before serving
… and may I suggest serving with mashed potatoes? Trust me.
Bonus: you can also make this in the slow cooker so it’s ready when you get home at night. Please to enjoy.