I’m freezing. Are y’all freezing? It’s prime comfort food time for me, and this delivers. A librarian printed this recipe out for me once and I promptly lost the paper; I make it from memory now, and I’m not sure of the original source. Regardless of its origins, it’s hot and tasty and definitely fall-off-the-bone tender.
Coca-cola pot roast
- Chuck roast, about 4 pounds
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 Tbsp. salt (coarse/kosher salt, ideally)
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 packet French onion soup mix
- 1 can Coca-cola
- Baby carrots or chopped carrots
- Preheat oven to 325F and heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat on the stovetop
- Season the roast with salt and pepper, then sear the roast on all sides in the Dutch oven till it’s nice and brown
- Sprinkle over the garlic powder and onion soup mix, pour in the Coke and add in the carrots around the roast; put a lid on it and stick the whole thing in the oven
- Cook till the internal temp of the roast is 165F; this will take about three hours or so depending on your oven and the size of the roast. Let it rest for about ten minutes before serving
… and may I suggest serving with mashed potatoes? Trust me.
Bonus: you can also make this in the slow cooker so it’s ready when you get home at night. Please to enjoy.
Oh. My. Wow.
This sounds amazing and roast is one of my favs. I’m definitely doing this this week!
I had to try this before making a comment. I am in AWE with using Coca Cola! I truly did not think ‘this would work’ but it’s delish and the gravy is AMAZING! Serve with mashed potatoes for us, is a must, along with green beans was a perfect dinner. THANK YOU for sharing and going to put this on Pinterest for sure!
It’s crazy sounding, I know, but it works, right??