A few months back I tried to make something out of an old cookbook of my mama’s; it was similar to this but used polenta and unseasoned ground beef. It was… dismal. So last night I decided to make up my own version. Success! SO tasty and good gravy it smelled amazing. The Yankee ate three helpings for supper; this counts as a thumbs-up, no?
Cornbread taco pie
- One pound ground beef
- One packet taco seasoning
- One cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
- One box Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- In a deep skillet (I obviously used cast iron) brown up and drain the ground beef; add in taco seasoning and 2/3 cup water and let it simmer (i.e. follow directions on taco seasoning packet)
- Mix up Jiffy cornbread according to package directions, but use two eggs instead of one to give yourself a little extra batter
- Turn off the heat under the ground beef and sprinkle on shredded cheese; spread cornbread batter over the top and bake at 400F for about 15-20 minutes or until cornbread is lightly browned on top
That’s it! This is perfect for a quick fall supper that tastes like you put hours of work into it. So warm and filling without you actually having to stand over the stove forever and a day. What’s not to love?
Disclaimer: Jiffy cornbread does not know that I exist; I just love the stuff.