I’m not a stranger to baked oatmeal, but I love how Beth of Eat. Drink. Smile upped the ante with the addition of all her yummy fruit! I adapted her recipe a bit to use up what we had (super ripe bananas) and to add something both my kids are guaranteed to eat: peanut butter!
Baked Elvis oatmeal
- 2 cups uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 very ripe bananas, fork-mashed
- 3 Tbsp butter (see instructions)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (see instructions)
- Combine oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a bowl
- Heat the butter and peanut butter together in the microwave till just melted, then let it cool slightly
- Make a well in the middle of your dry ingredients; add in the egg and beat well, then add in banana and butter/peanut butter mixture and stir well
- Pour into a buttered 8-inch square baking dish, and bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes.
This is such a great breakfast, and easy to keep around for snacks as well! Be sure to check out Beth’s original post for all her awesome fruit combinations, too. What fruits will you try with it?
P.S. Lost without Google reader? ME TOO. But try this: Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Great idea! My little guy can’t eat peanut butter yet, but as soon as he can, I’ll be making it for us. Last week I made a banana & pineapple version that I loved, but PB is one of my favorite things on the planet, so I know I’ll go crazy for this version. Mmmm…and maybe some chocolate chips. I’ve just made this healthy breakfast not so healthy 😉
Oh pineapple! That sounds awesome!
And I KNOW! I almost put chocolate chips in it but I (shockingly) refrained. Next time!
I agree with the chocolate chips and I’d add bacon! You did say Elvis after all! This looks yummy.
I’ve been wanting to bake oatmeal for a while. And don’t get me started on the banana/peanut butter combo. Mmmmmmm.