I came across this recipe a while back at Joy the Baker. Comfort food for breakfast? I’m obviously in for that. And I like that it’s something a little different; not that breakfast casserole is anything to turn your nose at (duh), but it’s fun to shake things up every once in a while, right?
Sweet breakfast polenta
- 1 cup polenta
- 3 cups cold water
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- Measure polenta into a small bowl and add 1 cup cold water; stir and set aside
- In a medium saucepan bring 2 cups cold water and 2 cups milk to a low boil; stir in salt, then slowly add the polenta/water mixture, whisking to keep the lumps away
- Simmer until the polenta is thickened, stirring frequently; this can take anywhere from 10-40 minutes depending on how coarse your polenta is, so keep an eye on it
- Add sugar, vanilla and cinnamon to thickened polenta, then serve topped with milk and an extra little bit of brown sugar (because, hey, why not?)
Keep warm, kids!
Yum…, good idea.