I am reformed!
I have hated broccoli all my life. Hated it. Now I love it! But only if I cook it. And only like this. Hmm. Does this count as a reformation?
You will need:
- Broccoli — preferably fresh, but frozen is fine if you set it out to thaw first
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon juice
- Parmesan cheese
Ready? This is quick and easy.
- Preheat your oven to 450. It takes my oven about two and a half weeks to accomplish that, FYI
- In the bottom of a heavy skillet or saucepan, put a single layer of broccoli and toss it with just enough olive oil to coat all the pieces, and throw in a pat or two of butter
- Salt and pepper with abandon
- Put in the oven uncovered for about 20-30 minutes or longer, depending on how Southern-style soft you like your veggies (one of The Yankee’s favorite stories is the look on my face when I saw “cooked” green beans in northern Michigan)
- When they’re as done as you like, pull them out of the oven; they’ll likely be stuck to the bottom of the pan, which is totally fine
- Now, quickly before it cools down at all, splash some lemon juice in the pan to deglaze it and un-stick the broccoli. It’s like magic, I’m telling you!
- Sprinkle on a little parmesan cheese and chow down while it’s still hot
- Fresh garlic roasted with it
- Sprinkled-in crushed red pepper
- Grated lemon zest
- Lawry’s salt
- Anything else? What do you use?