The Yankee went through a period where he was making bacon pretty regularly, which meant I had a fantastic supply of bacon grease to use up. I thought I’d try something new with them, and these turned out great. The bacon grease makes them very hearty, with a hint of sweetness from the pineapple juice — really great for turkey sandwiches!
These are a riff on my earlier blogged yeast rolls. Enjoy!
Pineapple bacon sandwich rolls
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm pineapple juice (heating it for a few seconds in the microwave is fine)
- 3 cups AP flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons room temperature bacon grease
- 1/4 cup dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup instant mashed potato flakes
- Combine all ingredients and knead together in a stand mixer for about six or seven minutes on the second speed; the dough should clean the sides of the bowl
- Let it rise till doubled, about an hour
- Separate dough into 16 pieces, roll into balls and place in two greased pie or cake pans
- Let rise again until rolls are touching and very puffy
- Bake at 350F for about 20 or 25 minutes until golden brown; cool for a few minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to completely cool
I’m thinking I need to try these for pimento cheese sandwiches, too. What else?
I would LOVE to try these, alas I never have bacon grease. Gah, first not liking sweet tea and now this? They are going to take my Southern credentials away!
You don’t like sweet tea?!
Have you tried it with bourbon? 😉
With bourbon? Now that could be a game changer!
Whoa, how did I not know you can make rolls with pineapple juice and bacon grease? This sounds absolutely fantastic!
To be fair, I didn’t either! I just crossed my fingers and winged it. 😉
What a great idea! When I first read the description, I wasn’t interested (yeah, I’m that weird girl that doesn’t like pineapple with my meats – at all – no Hawaiian Pizza, no Tacos al Pastor, no to most Polynesian dishes), but after seeing the picture and reading the recipe, this looks pretty fabulous! We have a BaconFest every summer at our house and these would be the perfect base for a pig-centric sammie! Thanks for the inspiration!
BACONFEST? Um, THAT sounds pretty fabulous!