You know what bacon fried rice needs? More bacon.
I know, I’m a visionary.
I kept hearing talk of bacon fried rice on Twitter so I decided to concoct my own version: veggies, leftover rice, and bacon fried in bacon grease.
Bacon fried rice
- Bacon grease (which I always have in the fridge)
- Broccoli, chopped
- Cooked bacon, chopped
- Carrots (I shredded them because I like them tiny)
- 1 egg
- Leftover rice
- Sweet chile sauce
- Heat a couple tablespoons of bacon grease over medium heat in a skillet
- Add in chopped up veggies and cook for a few minutes until they’re as tender as you like; I’m Southern so this was more like 10 minutes for me (you can also add a little water and put the lid on to steam them very tender)
- Break egg into the pan and stir while it cooks up
- Add in bacon and leftover rice, stirring and breaking up clumps. Stir and cook until rice is heated through and egg is cooked
- Add in a bit of sweet chile sauce (or soy sauce) and eat hot!
Go make some! What veggies sound good to you to use?