Wondering what to do with all those biscuits?
Wondering how to add a few calories to your breakfast?
These are really super easy to make (along with, uh, everything else I ever blog) and are such comfort food for breakfast!
Biscuits and gravy
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 can evaporated milk or about a cup and a half of milk (I guarantee nothing with skim milk; I’m a whole milk kinda girl)
- Brown up the sausage till it’s crumbly and completely cooked — no pink! — then evaluate your sausage grease situation. I put all the sausage on a paper-towel lined plate so I can see what I’m working with. You want to end up with about three tablespoons of grease left in there; drain off anything in excess of that
- Turn the burner to medium or so and sprinkle in three tablespoons of flour; whisking to combine. Pretty soon your mixture will look super thick and you’ll want to sock me one because this can’t possibly be right, but it is! Stay with me
- Now pour in your milk and keep whisking! Remember that flour doesn’t hit full thickening power till it’s bubbling (unlike cornstarch), so don’t give up; in just a couple minutes you’ll have gravy
- Now add back in the sausage and serve over your hot biscuits
This dish may or may not cause a Yankee to propose do you. I’m just sayin’.