Wondering what to do with all those biscuits?
Wondering how to add a few calories to your breakfast?
These are really super easy to make (along with, uh, everything else I ever blog) and are such comfort food for breakfast!
Biscuits and gravy
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 can evaporated milk or about a cup and a half of milk (I guarantee nothing with skim milk; I’m a whole milk kinda girl)
- Brown up the sausage till it’s crumbly and completely cooked — no pink! — then evaluate your sausage grease situation. I put all the sausage on a paper-towel lined plate so I can see what I’m working with. You want to end up with about three tablespoons of grease left in there; drain off anything in excess of that
- Turn the burner to medium or so and sprinkle in three tablespoons of flour; whisking to combine. Pretty soon your mixture will look super thick and you’ll want to sock me one because this can’t possibly be right, but it is! Stay with me
- Now pour in your milk and keep whisking! Remember that flour doesn’t hit full thickening power till it’s bubbling (unlike cornstarch), so don’t give up; in just a couple minutes you’ll have gravy
- Now add back in the sausage and serve over your hot biscuits
This dish may or may not cause a Yankee to propose do you. I’m just sayin’.
YUM! You’ve got me drooling over here. I love biscuits and gravy. I learned early on in our relationship that Nathan does not. For some reason, I decided to keep him anyway.
Whaaaa…? Doesn’t like biscuits and gravy? He just must be awfully cute for you to keep him anyway. 😉
have i mentioned that i often say i would slap/stab/generally hurt someone for homemade biscuits gravy? if not, lets make it official. i TOTALLY would!
Sausage gravy and biscuits take me back to my childhood. My mom used to make it sometimes on Saturday mornings. I didn’t appreciate it until I grew up. I think I’m going to give this one a try. Thanks
FYI…i substituted vegi sausage crumbles and this recipe was still awesome. i quit the meat when i was 12 and for the most part don’t miss much of it. but biscuits and gravy is one of the few dishes that i miss