After talking and hemming and hawing about it forever I finally bought a cookie press. It’s so much fun! I can’t believe I waited so long. I just had to try cheese straws first, and they were fantastic.
They also kind of made me want to wear a big hat and drink mint juleps, but that’s for another day.
The cookie press I bought came with a recipe book with this recipe included; I changed it to use butter instead of margarine, because yuck.
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, graded
- 3/4 cup butter, well softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp hot sauce (I used Louisiana)
- 1 3/4 cups flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or more if you like the heat)
- Preheat oven 400 F
- Blend cheese, butter, egg and hot sauce and set aside
- Sift together flour and spices, then knead into butter mixture, either by hand or in a food processor with the metal blade
- Use cookie press with star disk, or pipe out of ziptop bag onto ungreased cookie sheet, and bake for 10-13 minutes until golden brown. Remove immediately to cooling rack; store in airtight container when completely cooled
By the way, show of hands: who has had cheese straws before? Turns out my lived-in-the-South-all-her-life friend Vanessa had never had them. What about y’all?