These. Are. Amazing. I can say that without bragging because it’s not my recipe; I just made ’em.
This is a Mark Bittman recipe that I scribbled down on a piece of paper without much documentation; I’ll assume it’s either from one of his NYT articles or from How to Cook Everything. These top every single homemade tortilla I’ve ever made or eaten, and they’re quick and easy to boot. NO BRAINER.
- 1 1/2 cups (7 oz) AP flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp. lard (yes, lard, people — don’t be afraid)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Dust off your food processor and dump in the flour, salt and lard; pulse about ten times to cut in the fat
- With the machine running, add the water till the dough kind of all the sudden comes together in a ball
- Dump it on the counter and knead by hand for about one minute, then wrap in plastic wrap to rest for at least 15 minutes, but up to all day at room temperature
- Cut the dough into six pieces and heat a large (cast iron if you have it) skillet for 4-5 minutes on medium; roll out or press the tortillas till they’re quite thin, then cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side, till little browned spots appear. Eat immediately (duh), or keep warm by wrapping in a towel, or cool then keep in the fridge in a large zip top bag.
I used these to make quesadillas with some leftover steak and cheese, but they’re also heavenly for veggie wraps, or slathered in butter and cinnamon sugar and rolled up for breakfast. Enjoy!
Holy cow, I had no idea there were SO easy to make!
Those do look mighty delicious!
It was a real treat when my Hispanic stepgrandmother would make homemade flour tortillas when I was a kid. Nothing beats them.
very nice. ı love it
I love that you made your own tortillas! Growing up we used to take fresh hot tortillas, add a little butter, sprinkle a little salt…roll it up…and oh my gawd. It’s like the best thing ever! Lol!
This is almost exactly like my recipe, except I hadn’t thought of using my food processor! That would make it quicker. Also after eating my husband’s grandmothers hand made tortillas – she grew up in Mexico – I started adding about 1/2 tsp baking powder to the flour. Gives them just a little thickness and makes them even yummier! I just found your blog linking from The Novice Chef and like it a lot 🙂