We were drowning (drowning I say!) in frozen hamburger patties. And there are only so many burgers a girl can eat (no, really), so I decided to re-purpose some of the beef. And there was my big ol’ cast iron skillet, lying in neglect, not having been used since… um…. last night. For pizza. Um, anyway.
This is, obviously, an adaptation of the classic Bisquick recipe.
You will need:
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 onion — less or more, depending on the likelihood of smooching someone later; I used about 1/4 of an onion, maybe less
- 1 cup shredded cheese (4 oz)
- 1/2 cup AP flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp dry milk
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Brown up the meat and onion, preferably in a cast iron skillet, and drain the grease out — I tilt the pan till any grease is on one side, then use a paper towel to blot it out
- Spread the meat and onion evenly in the bottom of your skillet (if you’re not using an oven-safe skillet, then spray a pie plate with non-stick spray and spread the meat in there)
- Sprinkle meat with cheese
- Using a fork, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, dry milk
- Drizzle in canola oil, then work it in with your fork till it looks crumbly
- To the flour mix, add milk and eggs and whisk together, then pour over meat/onion/cheese mix — since this was use-what-we’ve-got supper night, you’ll see some shredded mozzarella, some shredded colby jack and a few Kraft singles. It’s what we had!
- Bake pie at 400F for about 25 minutes or until knife inserted in the middle of the pie comes out clean
This was really yummy. Comfort food! If you don’t do it in a cast iron, this could easily be assembled and put in the fridge beforehand, too.