The Yankee went through a period where he was making bacon pretty regularly, which meant I had a fantastic supply of bacon grease to use up. I thought I’d try something new with them, and these turned out great. The bacon grease makes them very hearty, with a hint of sweetness from the pineapple juice — really great for turkey sandwiches!
These are a riff on my earlier blogged yeast rolls. Please to enjoy!
Pineapple bacon sandwich rolls
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm pineapple juice (heating it for a few seconds in the microwave is fine)
- 3 cups AP flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons room temperature bacon grease
- 1/4 cup dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup instant mashed potato flakes
- Combine all ingredients and knead together in a stand mixer for about six or seven minutes on the second speed; the dough should clean the sides of the bowl
- Let it rise till doubled, about an hour
- Separate dough into 16 pieces, roll into balls and place in two greased pie or cake pans
- Let rise again until rolls are touching and very puffy
- Bake at 350F for about 20 or 25 minutes until golden brown; cool for a few minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to completely cool
I’m thinking I need to try these for pimento cheese sandwiches, too. What else?