I love the comfort foods of fall! By August, when it’s easily 102F in Nashville, I’m ready for cooler weather, football, and fall foods; this is definitely one of my favorites.
I put out the call on Twitter for pot roast preparations about a year ago and got some fabulous ideas which I’ve cobbled together here. The flour thickens the juice and really brings everything together; it’s fantastic. I make it in my combo cooker (affiliate link), but you can also brown in a skillet then move to a slow cooker. Either way, you’ll love it.
Slow cooker pot roast
- Chuck roast
- 2 tbsp. oil (vegetable or olive)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 packet zesty Italian dressing seasoning
- 1 packet ranch dressing seasoning
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup red wine
- Red potatoes
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, salt, dressings, and soup mix. Sprinkle over the roast on all sides, pressing the mixture onto the meat
- Heat oil in a large skillet or in your combo cooker if you have one, then brown roast on all sides
- When well browned, add in wine and vegetables and cook all day — I let mine go 8-9 hours
Your turn! How do YOU do pot roast?