Is this thing on?
I’m so sorry for my absence of late. I’ve been a little pregnant, you see (throws confetti). And while this is awesome and nothing short of a miracle, I’ve been rocking the kind of symptoms that have left me avoiding the kitchen like the plague. But there’s starting to be a teensy light at the end of the tunnel, and this week I actually cooked something. I did not, I’m afraid, take pictures of it. Baby steps. So to speak.
These are a knockoff of Olive Garden’s bread sticks; I found the recipe in an old Food Network magazine. They have the yum.
Garlic butter breadsticks
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 1/4 cups AP flour
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Pinch of dried oregano
- Mix all ingredients together in stand mixer bowl till dough forms (this will take about five minutes), then knead with the hook attachment for about 2 minutes, or by hand for about three minutes or until very smooth
- Roll into a 2-foot long log, then cut into 16 pieces (just cut the log, then logs in half over and over till you have 16 pieces; measuring is for the birds), and place these 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper; cover with a cloth and let them rise until doubled. The original recipe said this would take 45 minutes, but with my A/C cranking it took more like 2 hours, which is fine — just watch for them to get nice and puffy
- Preheat the oven to 400F while you melt the butter for the topping
- Brush the breadsticks with about half the butter then sprinkle on the salt
- Bake until very lightly golden, about 12-15 minutes, while you combine the garlic powder and oregano; pull the breadsticks out and brush them with the butter, then sprinkle on the garlic/oregano mixture