As discussed here over honey mustard, I’m still new to liking mayonnaise. One of my favorite things about liking mayo, though, is pimento cheese. It COMPLETES me. I always have some in the fridge now. Pimento cheese on Wheat Thins? Possibly a perfect snack.
My very favorite kind of pimento cheese is Palmetto Cheese, which is made with mayo and cream cheese. The cream cheese gives it a little extra thickness and tang and it’s just so, so good. When I heard Damaris Phillips mention on TV that she made her pimento cheese with cream cheese, I knew this was a recipe I had to try. I change hers up just a bit, using sharp yellow cheddar and adding some hot sauce; it’s a definite staple in my house now.
Pimento cream cheese
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 2 ounces mayonnaise (I use Duke’s or homemade)
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces diced pimento (one small jar)
- Hot sauce to taste (I use Louisiana)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Mix together cream cheese and mayo until thoroughly combined
- Add in cheese and pimento and stir till well mixed
- Add hot sauce, salt, and pepper, tasting as you go till it’s perfect to you!
If you haven’t yet, you really must try mixing pimento cheese into your scrambled eggs. I also love it on the afore-mentioned Wheat Thins, and of course pimento cheese sandwiches. How do y’all eat it?