It’s been at least a week since I posted a recipe with Nutella! What am I thinking? I can stop anytime I want. Ahem.
This will shock you, but this is a ridiculously easy recipe; a riff on the also ridiculously easy shortbread two ways.
Nutella shortbread bites
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp. Nutella
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (unsifted)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour (unsifted)
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Cream the butter until the color lightens, then cream in powdered sugar, then Nutella, then vanilla, then flour
- Knead briefly without adding any flour until dough is smooth (look for it to be a uniform color)
- Scoop dough by the teaspoon onto a parchment-paper lined cookie sheet — they’re fine just left as little rounds, no need to flatten them out
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until very lightly browned, then transfer to a wire rack to cool
- Eat as is, or dust with powdered sugar as below:
These are AWESOME with coffee. Or for breakfast. Or after supper. Or as a snack. Or, um, well you get the idea.
My sweet friend Sarah has a love for Starbucks VIA. When Kiddo and I were getting a college care package together for her last week I was already planning some basic brownies…. and then I saw the VIA in the cabinet. Score! The result? Fudgy, caffeinated, rich chocolaty brownies. I, ahem, may have eaten one before I sent the rest off. Just so I could report back to y’all, obviously.
- 1 stick butter
- 1-2 tbsp chocolate chips
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 pack VIA coffee or a Tbsp. or so of espresso powder
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Spray a 9 inch square pan with nonstick spray, then lay in a piece of parchment paper just wide enough to cover the bottom of the pan, and long enough so the paper hangs off both sides of the pan by a good few inches (you’re making a sling for your brownies). Spray the parchment paper with nonstick spray
- Melt the butter with the chocolate chips (I did this in the microwave), then add in sugar and cocoa, mixing well. Add dry ingredients and eggs and mix again
- Spread into your prepared pan and bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted halfway between the middle and the edge of the pan comes out clean
- Remove the pan from the oven and wait 5 minutes, then use the sling to pull the brownies out of the pan and transfer to a cutting board; cut the brownies with a plastic knife (I don’t know why this works, but it keeps the brownies from getting torn up), then use the sling again to transfer to a wire rack to cool completely